Does your website run on green energy?
The internet is the world's largest coal-powered machine. Check if your website runs on green energy — and help make the internet fossil-free.
We work towards a fossil-free internet
The Green Web Foundation is an independent non-profit that tracks how much of the internet runs on green energy. Manage the environmental impact of your digital products. Apply best practices in digital sustainability. Advocate for a more sustainable and just internet.
Are you a hosting provider using green energy? Get verified for free. Your services will be listed in our Green Web Dataset — accessed millions of times a day.
WHAT WE DO
Check if a website runs on 100% green energy. View public evidence of claims. Download our open dataset or use our API.
Meet movement leaders who advocate for a sustainable and just internet and learn how to green their practice.
An online, carbon-aware magazine written by and for people who dream of a sustainable and just internet for all.
Recipient of the Ars Electronica Award for Digital Humanity.
Issue 5: Critical Carbon Computing has just landed!
Documentation on how to use our open source libraries and tools.
Green Web Library
Curated resources about digital sustainability and more.
Green Screen Coalition
Connecting digital rights and climate justice practitioners and funders.
- Presenting Branch Issue #6: Green ScreenA burgeoning community of grassroot and Indigenous organizers, digital rights and environmental NGOs, and philanthropic donors are on multiple, and at times converging, journeys to … Read more
- Digital Transformation and Climate Action: Still in the Clouds?Climate and cloudsIt wasn’t until I started working on climate change that I realized how essential clouds are. Of course, I remember drawing clouds in … Read more
- The Right to Repair in a Platform-Powered WorldBack in June I participated in Eurobike, an annual trade show that hosts over 60,000 attendees and spans a dozen city block-sized buildings in downtown … Read more
- Die Zeit: “Ist Surfen schmutziger als Fliegen?” (August 2023)
- Hosting Advice: The Green Web Foundation: Promoting a Fossil-Free Internet with Groundbreaking Green Initiatives (July 2023)
- Triple Pundit: It’s Time for the Internet to Become More Sustainable, Says New Coalition (April 2022)
- BBC Digital Planet: How Green Is Our Data? (November 2021)
- Zeit Online: “Ihr Cappuccino hat den gleichen CO₂-Fußabdruck wie zwei Stunden Zoom” (September 2021)
- Gizmodo: The Planet Needs a New Internet (August 2021)