Is your website hosted green?
The internet is the world’s largest coal-powered machine.
The internet should be a global public good—healthy for the planet and for the people who use it.
We need a fossil-free internet. By 2030.
The Green Web Foundation tracks and accelerates the transition to a fossil-free internet. You can use our open dataset of websites that run on renewable energy—accessed over 2 billion times. You can green your internet practice and your organization with our tools and resources. And together, we can advocate for a more sustainable and just internet.
Green Your Website
Green Your Practice
Learn how to audit your website and digital supply chain. Access resources to develop your skills as a sustainable internet practitioner. Get support to shift your organization’s culture and practice.
An online magazine written by and for people who dream of a sustainable and just internet.
Green Web Fellowship
Internet practitioners learning and working alongside us to green their practice and advance climate justice.
Building on the convention of robots.txt to index websites, we propose a way for websites to annotate their emissions.
Towards a Fossil-Free Internet
A research series to understand how to achieve a fossil-free internet by 2030.
Chapter 1: The Fog of Enactment Gauthier Roussilhe
Projects we contribute to
Cloud Carbon Footprint
An open source tool to help measure, monitor and reduce your cloud carbon emissions.
A web performance tool that displays a website’s carbon footprint and how to green it.
A monitoring tool to better understand and improve tech services’ energy consumption.
- Triple Pundit: It’s Time for the Internet to Become More Sustainable, Says New Coalition (April 2022)
- BBC Digital Planet: How Green Is Our Data? (November 2021)
- Zeit Online: “Ihr Cappuccino hat den gleichen CO₂-Fußabdruck wie zwei Stunden Zoom” (September 2021)
- Gizmodo: The Planet Needs a New Internet (August 2021)
- 5 things I learned in my Green Web FellowshipIn the past months I have been exploring how to advance climate justice among internet practitioners. As part of the fellowship program I work towards… Read More »5 things I learned in my Green Web Fellowship
- Presenting new research climate justice x digital rightsIn 2021 Ford, Mozilla and Ariadne launched a research project with the aim to understand what responsible grantmaking on the intersection between digital rights and… Read More »Presenting new research climate justice x digital rights
- Digitalisation and Sustainability at the SwissIGF: key takeaways and further areas of actionOn June 2nd, Katrin Fritsch, who works on our strategy and communications, participated at the “Digitalisation and Sustainability: Opportunities and Risks” workshop of the Swiss… Read More »Digitalisation and Sustainability at the SwissIGF: key takeaways and further areas of action