Is your website hosted green?
The internet is the world’s largest coal-powered machine.
The internet should be a global public good—healthy for the planet and for the people who use it.
We need a fossil-free internet. By 2030.
The Green Web Foundation tracks and accelerates the transition to a fossil-free internet. You can use our open dataset of websites that run on renewable energy—accessed over 2 billion times. You can green your internet practice and your organization with our tools and resources. And together, we can advocate for a more sustainable and just internet.
Green Your Website
Green Your Practice
Learn how to audit your website and digital supply chain. Access resources to develop your skills as a sustainable internet practitioner. Get support to shift your organization’s culture and practice.
An online magazine written by and for people who dream of a sustainable and just internet.
Green Web Fellowship
Internet practitioners learning and working alongside us to green their practice and advance climate justice.
Building on the convention of robots.txt to index websites, we propose a way for websites to annotate their emissions.
Towards a Fossil-Free Internet
A research series to understand how to achieve a fossil-free internet by 2030.
Chapter 1: The Fog of Enactment Gauthier Roussilhe
Projects we contribute to
Cloud Carbon Footprint
An open source tool to help measure, monitor and reduce your cloud carbon emissions.
A web performance tool that displays a website’s carbon footprint and how to green it.
A monitoring tool to better understand and improve tech services’ energy consumption.
- Triple Pundit: It’s Time for the Internet to Become More Sustainable, Says New Coalition (April 2022)
- BBC Digital Planet: How Green Is Our Data? (November 2021)
- Zeit Online: “Ihr Cappuccino hat den gleichen CO₂-Fußabdruck wie zwei Stunden Zoom” (September 2021)
- Gizmodo: The Planet Needs a New Internet (August 2021)
- Good Net Zero, bad Net Zero. Crowdsourcing company targets with WikiRateAs the seriousness of the climate crisis becomes ever clearer, more and more companies are making public sustainability commitments to show they are doing their… Read More »Good Net Zero, bad Net Zero. Crowdsourcing company targets with WikiRate
- The Green Web Foundation at COP 27For the first time ever, we have staff at a COP climate conference, talking about the need for fossil-free internet by 2030 – read on… Read More »The Green Web Foundation at COP 27
- The Green Software Foundation Carbon Hack – 13 Oct – 10 NovToday sees our friends at the Green Software Foundation launch their most impactful hackathon yet, Carbon Hack 22! This Hackathon invites software developers globally to… Read More »The Green Software Foundation Carbon Hack – 13 Oct – 10 Nov