What you need to register

To mark a site as green, you need to do one of two things.

  • Host your site with a green provider
  • Show evidence that you yourself are a green provider

What we look for from green providers

When a hoster signs up with The Green Web Foundation, we need to know the website, and how we can recognize the customers of the hosting services. Usually that is through an AS Number or ip-ranges (ipv4 and/or ipv6). Once provided, the big question is: why is this a green hoster?

Proof of using green energy

Most datacenters that use renewable energy, do so by taking standard electricity of the grid, and adding renewable energy certificates (RECS or GOOs) to it. If they do so, there is always a certificate from a provider, stating the number of MWh’s that are bought in green and a period. Hosters can link to that document, or other proof, that the electricity used is green.

Proof of accounting for the carbon emitted

The second way to run carbon neutral, is by buying carbon offsets from projects that mitigate CO2 in other projects. Although it happens, this is not very common in the world of internet facilities. In principle, it is an acceptable (and in some countries, the only) way to become a green internet provider or website. As with RECS, there should be a certificate with an end-date and (often) volume attached to this purchase, that could be published or linked to.

What we look for from Certified Partners

Hosting providers and other internet service providers that want to become Certified Partner, need to pass the certification process through an (remote) audit by a member of our team. For Certified Partner, we check the green credentials for the website and the services as delivered to customers of the hosting company. In the case of an application for Certified Dev Partner or Certified Gold Partner, we zoom in on the whole underlying stack of services, that are being used by the potential partner. Here again, proof needs to be provided by referring to the use of green energy (RECS) or carbon credits.